LASSEN TRADITIONAL CIDER
When it comes to making cider, Ben Nielsen of Lassen Traditional Cider, is determined to remain true to the craft. For their impeccable cider, Ben uses only locally grown apples from within 160 miles of their cidery in Chico, CA. Specifically, the team focuses on using American heirloom varieties, such as the Winesap, that have a rich history in cidermaking. After pressing, the cider is fermented for a couple of months in neutral red wine barrels. Then it is aged in bottles for several more months before being labeled for release. Lassen ciders are fermented fully dry, with zero added sugar- only 100% apples.
About the Cider Maker
Lassen Traditional Cider was founded by Ben Nielsen. Ben’s love of fermentation began when he started brewing beer back in college. In 2005 he received free fruit from a neighbor’s backyard apples trees in Corvallis, OR. With an exciting new ingredient and a passion for craft beverages, Ben began to explore the world of cidermaking. After a couple of years, his mild intrigue morphed into an annual cider pressing party where all of his friends would bring apples to press. A major revelation occurred when he produced a batch of cider from crab apples, and it ended up being the best cider he’d ever made. After a timely layoff from his engineering job in 2014, Ben’s plan to become a full-time cidermaker ensued, and Lassen Traditional Cider was created.
- ABV: 8.1%
- Tasting Notes: This cider is wild fermented fully dry in neutral French oak red wine barrels. At bottling, a small amount of fresh juice is added so that the cider is naturally carbonated from bottle conditioning. It is dry, yet complex with floral notes, a slight sourness, and a crisp, long finish.
- Tip: This is a live product and extreme heat should be avoided. Serve chilled.
- Website: www.lassencider.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- FB/Instagram: @lassencider
- Taproom: 3005-A Limestone Way, Paso Robles, CA, 93446
PORTLAND CIDER CO.
Portland Cider Co. was created on the belief that good cider comes from good fruit, honest practices, and attention to detail. Union Jack, a seasonal, limited production cider, perfectly embraces these values. It is truly an authentic English cider made from traditional cider apples grown in Oregon, cold fermented over months and aged for over a year. Portland Cider will never use any artificial flavorings and colorings, or add any sulfites to their natural ciders.
Their cidermaking process always starts with fresh pressed juice from 100% Northwest grown apples. This juice is then carefully fermented using yeast that protects the delicate characteristics of the fruit. The resulting ciders are always high quality, refreshing, and downright delicious. That’s why their motto is, “Drink it, it’s Good!”
About the Cider Makers
Through the marriage of English traditions and Northwest micro-cidery techniques, Portland Cider Co. was established in 2012 by Jeff and Lynda Parrish. Lynda, an ex-patriot from the Somerset region of England (the Mecca of cider), married Oregon native Jeff, inspiring the English-style ciders crafted from Northwest apples Portland Cider Co. is known for. A long-time home fermenter, Jeff traveled to Lynda’s hometown of Bristol shortly after their wedding, where they both visited several local cideries and learned about the craft of English cider. That trip was the catalyst that turned a hobby into a passion, which escalated quickly back at home. Soon, all of their friends loved the Parrish homemade cider and were encouraging Jeff and Lynda to bottle and sell it – and thus, Portland Cider Co. was born.
- ABV: 6.9%
- Tasting Notes: This still, dry cider is a balanced, complex array of fruit flavors with soft tannins that compliment, and not over power, giving it a rich body and dry finish. The aging process for Union Jack adds to the complexity of the flavors, while balancing the tannins for a beautiful cider that highlights the glorious cider apple fruit.
- Website: www.portlandcider.com
- Email: Contact on website
- FB/Twitter/Instagram: @portlandcider
- Taproom: 8925 Southeast Jannsen Road, Clackamas, OR, 97015
- Cider House: 3638 Southeast Hawthorne Blvd. Portland, OR 97214
You can find both of these great ciders on our website RIGHT NOW! Visit our online Cider Shop!